- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled, deveined and rinsed (Available at the market from Lil Emma’s Seafood)
- 2 ounce Monterey Jack cheese, cut into thin strips
- 3 jalapeños, halved, seeded and cut into thin slices (Available at the market from PEAS Farm)
- 1 pound bacon strips, halved (Available at the market from Shiner Pork)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 lime, quartered
- In a small bowl, mix together garlic powder, paprika, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Place shrimp in a large bowl and season with 3/4 of the spice mixture, tossing evenly to coat.
- Working with one shrimp at a time, make a slit about 3/4-inch long at base of shrimp. Place one jalapeño slice and one cheese slice in cut slit, then wrap base of shrimp all the way around with a half-slice of bacon. Repeat with rest of shrimp.
- Thread shrimp onto skewers and season lightly with remaining spice mixture. Brush shrimp lightly with melted butter.
- Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill shrimp over high heat until bacon crisps and shrimp just cook through, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a platter and serve with lime wedges.